50 Years

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Southern Counties Organ Festival
New postPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:29 pm 

Went to the Southern Counties Organ Festival yesterday at Middle Wallop( Sunday 3rd June ) Got there about midday only to find no one there. Brian Kidds organs was still there but all locked up. There was quite a few people enquiring as to the where abouts of the Organ Festival, but we were told that they had all packed up and gone home. Some of us had travelled some distance, and petrol is not cheap. What went wrong.
Oragn Dave.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Southern Counties Organ Festival
New postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:42 pm 

I would hazard a guess that after the Torrential rain and everyone being soaked they had had enough by midday Sunday
Maybe they did not get many punters with the bad weather and of course the TV coverage of the Jubilee celebrations.
It is always wise before setting off on a long trip to visit an outdoor event in bad weather to make a phone call to confirm the event has not been cancelled.

George

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:27 pm 

Many thanks for your reply, the weather on the Saturday was very warm sunshine and on the Sunday we had no heavy rain, just the odd shower. The only wet day over the weekend was Tuesday, we will not go there. I have since been told that there was only about 4 Organs there anyway and on the Sunday some Organs were of to Diamond Jubilee do,s. so they decided to call it a day. Dave.

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:15 pm 

First of all, my most sincere apologies for those that travelled to SCOF and found no-one there.

The Saturday was quite a good day weather-wise, but with torrential overnight rain.
For Sunday, the forecast was forbidding, although the day started with some glimmer of sunshine, very quickly replaced by huge banks of clouds and a freshening wind.

My reasons for cancelling are as follows:
1. Due to the Jubilee Celebrations, the event had a less than 50% take up than last year.
2. Because of family circumstances, two organs had to drop out and notified me on Thursday, the first opportunity they had. (Two other organs had paying jobs on the Sunday, so were unable to remain on site. One of those came all the way up from Cornwall just for one day.)
3. Yes, we were left with four organs, but one that couldn't play due to generator problems (mine).
4. I felt it unfair to expect those who were supporting the event to stay and play to an empty field; at ten thirty, there were no cars in the car park, and no prospect of there being any with the celbrations being televised in the afternoon (you were right there, George).
5. To carry on, would have meant that two exhibitors would have wet canvas gear (again) to contend with when, not if, it rained again.

Taking the above items into consideration, I spoke with the organ owners. All agreed it was my decision, and they would be happy with whatever that decision was.

Therefore, at approximately 11am, I took the view to cancel. As organiser, I stand by this decision, and all the ramifications that come with it.

However, one thing puzzles me.....and it is this:

The event had been advertised in several places, and my telephone number was included in those adverts. As George said, wouldn't it have made sense to have called to ensure that the event was still going ahead?
I think it unwise to travel 'on spec' to any event in weather like that of recent days, particularly if any distance is involved.

As I said at the top, I am sorry for those of you who came (how many actually came, I wonder?), and apologise unreservedly.
However, I stand by my decision.

Alan Roberts,
Organiser,
Southern Counties Organ Festival

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:26 pm 

Hi Alan
Many thanks for your reply, I totally understand why you deciced to cancell your event. I saw it advertised on the F O P S website and there was no phone number otherwise I probably would of rung first to check it was still on owing to the weather and Diamond Jubilee celebrations. The e mail address on the advert was for the Aircraft Museum. Anyway never mind perhaps next year. Dave .

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:48 pm 

Hi again Alan.
Just wanted to say how I have enjoyed reading all about " Fantasia " in the Key Frame. Dave.

Profile E-mail