50 Years

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Vintage Rally Widnes 25th/26th September
New postPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:04 pm 
I've had a wonderful time at this year's rally and there seems to be more and more people going each year. I'm bothered that many of the stall holders I was talking to were worried about the organisation for next year and saying that the venue might change. Does anyone know anything about moving the rally out of Widnes?

Post subject: Re: Vintage Rally Widnes 25th/26th September
New postPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:59 am 

Hi Frances.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your visit to the North West Rally at Victoria Park Widnes.
The Police estimate that 50,000 attended over the weekend probably due to the weather staying dry from Thursday even though it was cold you could at least wear warm clothes.
Dave Stubbs ,Ned Kaye and myself had very grave doubts about the event on Thursday.
We had almost completed marking out the field at 4pm on Wednesday when heavy rain came and persisted all night resulting in some areas becoming a bit boggy and unusable.
The Park is used for football and other recreational activities all year round so it was important that we did not leave ruts and create a situation where ground restoration costs would be astronomical.
Cancelling the event would probably have meant me having to leave the country because it was impossible to notify Exhibitors at such short notice.
The Gods looked kindly on us and the wind coupled with a little bit of sun
on Thursday and Friday dried the ground out sufficient for us to go ahead
with record crowds attending.
We had a very good variety of organs from hand turned to the largest instruments some not seen in the North West previously all attending through the generousity of the owners Who attend because they are enthusiasts and ask for no payment or expences.
As regards the future of the event there are all kinds of rumours circulating so I will try to clarify the situation here and now.
Halton Council without who's support the event would not be possible are suffering the same economic squeeze as many other Councils and are having to cut the funding for some less essential operations.
This year they have been forced to make savings in their budget and more have got to made next year so obviously some services will have to go.We will not know until next April what cuts will be made so we await with hope that the powers that be think that the Rally which attracts so many people is a Public amenity worth keeping.
At the moment we are discussing options of a small entrance fee /carparking charge etc.to offset costs.

Kind Regards.
George. :grinder: :tiphat:

PS.
A letter to Halton Borough Council in favour of the Rally may help.

George

Profile E-mail  
New postPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:17 pm 
Hi, thanks for the very informative response. I'll have a chat with the council and see what they say on this issue.
Frances

New postPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:15 pm 

Latest news on the Widnes Rally.
At a meeting with Council officials on Wednesday there was a distinct air of optimism that the the Event will go ahead in 2011.
Regards
George. :grinder: :crossfingers

George

Profile E-mail  
New postPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:10 pm 
Is there Any update on this event yet.. ?

New postPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:46 am 

Lawrence wrote:
Is there Any update on this event yet.. ?

Sorry for the delayed update on the FOPS North West Group Rally at Widnes.
I have been having a few health problems recently so have not been up to speed with the info.
At last here is the latest news.
The Rally will go ahead in its usual format this year thanks to Halton Council who are of the opinion that it provides a worthwhile facility for the public and makes good use of the Park and is excellent value for the expenditure involved.
Dave Stubbs has been a great help as usual and we managed last week to send out entry forms to everyone who attended last year. if you need a form please Email me at george@fairorgan.com
You will be very welcome.

Regards
George :grinder:

George

Profile E-mail  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]