50 Years

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Jack Bridges
New postPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:26 am 
Hi, Hope you can help me. I am the grandson of the late Jack Bridges. I know that he was a former member of FOPS & that he attended many rallies. I have in my posession an LP of Fairground Fantasia In Stereo (The Mammoth 89 Key 'Gavioli' Fairground Organ that he bought from the FOPS SEEND RALLY 1970).
I would like to know whether this organ is still in use & if anyone can remember my Grandad.
As a child i was engaged in steam rallies at an early age but now as the years go by i find myself intrigued by the wonders of the mechanical organ.
Any info please email me @flash_mk1@yahoo.co.uk
Thanks
Ashley Bridges

Post subject: Re: Jack Bridges
New postPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:33 am 

Hi Ashley.
I am afraid that I never had the pleasure of knowing your Grandfather but I am sure some long standing members of FOPS will have fond memories of him.
I think the Organ you are referring to is now owned by Showman Herbert Silcock of Southport and is maintained in top playing condition by Kevin Meayers.
The Organ was originally purchased by Crightons in 1902 as an 89 key Barrel operated Organ and travelled with the No1 outfit, It passed into the ownership of Ted Silcock, Herberts Father in 1946 and was restored and converted to carboard book playing by Chippa of Eyre Street London.
Its first outing after conversion was at Silcocks Fair in Victoria Park St Helens in 1950.
I believe it was later owned By Arthur F Mills and W G Chamberain, and 3 recordings of the Organ were released in 1962. (Your Record is probably from that period)
Herbert Silcock recalls that he had wanted to buy the Organ in 1946 but his Father decided that he wanted it so Herbert had to wait another 27 years to own it.
Incidently has anyone any memories of the the "Seend" Rally you refer to, was it in the Devizes / Trowbrige area?

Regards
George. :grinder:

George

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject: Re: Jack Bridges
New postPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:16 pm 
FOPS Committee

I well remember Jack Bridges, I used to see him at the Sunday afternoon recitals given by Arthur Middleton on his 89 Key Marenghi at Pleasley, Mansfield, in the early 1960's, and also at traction engine rallies.

I have e-mailed Ashley with all the information, including the whereabouts of the Marenghi now, and also the 89 Key Gavioli on his LP ( Herbert Silcock's ).

Ray Elliott.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:16 pm.

Profile E-mail  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]