50 Years

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: FOPS Organ Parade book
New postPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:52 pm 

I guess this book may not be familiar to younger enthusiasts, having been published forty years ago, but it was essential browsing for me back then with its' promise of all those organs out there waiting to be seen. I still enjoy a browse now and then and, whilst looking through it the other night, I decided to count the number of instruments I haven't yet seen and was surprised to find it was around 70! So is there anyone on here who might have run them all to ground? I'm guessing not but I thought I'd ask the question!

Following on from that, allowing for those organs that have gone abroad or maybe been lost in fires and other mishaps, I'm guessing a fair few of these organs either don't travel very far or spend all their time in their owners shed which is fair enough. Nevertheless whilst the larger instruments are easier to keep tabs on, there are a number of smaller instruments in the book which have caught the eye for no particular reason which I've never seen in the flesh or heard of travelling anywhere and I would be interested to know if they're still around or even make the occasional appearance:

47 key Bruder, Mr R.Bowyer, page104.
35 key Verbeeck, Mr J R Coates, page88.
62 key Gavioli trumpet barrel, Mr E P Clouston, page32.

Just casual interest and a bit of a long shot after all these years but maybe someone knows something.
:?2

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: FOPS Organ Parade book
New postPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:07 pm 

The Trumpet Barrel Organ was sold by Cloustons in the early 1980s
and unfortunately was very badly damaged by fire about 2 years later.
I have no information of any parts being salvaged.

George

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:53 pm 

Thanks George, I've a feeling someone else might have mentioned that possibility on another forum but no-one ever confirmed it. Pity really, I know the trumpet barrel organ isn't everyone's cup of tea but I've always had a soft spot for them. Properly maintained and presented they can be very pleasant to listen to and it's a pity there are so few around and so many have succumbed to conversion.

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:26 pm 

The Gavioli Trumpet Barrel organ belonging to the Cheetham family that used to be at Pickmere in Cheshire is at present undergoing restoration.
It still plays on the original Barrel and is one of the few Barrel organs that have not been converted.

George

Profile E-mail