50 Years

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: power problems
New postPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:35 am 

Please can anyone advise?
We have a gasolene 3000 generator and it's been fine for a long time, but just recently the test plug I have is showing one red light which means live and nutral are in reverse. Then the other day the engine just started over revving. I have tried a second genny and now that shows live and nutral in reverse. No wires or anything been changed. Help!!!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: power problems
New postPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:52 pm 

Try plugging your socket tester into a socket in your house and see what this shows. This will rule out your socket tester being faulty.

Also, don't forget that you're missing an Earth connection on your generators. You have to provide this yourself using a long Earth rod with a clamp on the top of it. You hammer the rod deep into the ground and then use the clamp to connect a length of green and yellow Earth wire to, that you then connect the other end of to the Earth connection on your generator's casing. This will either be a screw terminal post or just a bolt and washer. Either of these should be marked as the Earth connection with a symbol that's a triangle made up of 3 hoziontal lines with the longest of these being at the top and shortest at the bottom.

I think the fact that you don't have the Earth connection on your generator is probably the reason why you're seeing a fault being shown on your socket tester, as the Earth connection is used as well as the Live and Neutral connections for the correct operation of a socket tester. Perhaps the fault you're seeing of the Live and Neutral being reversed, is also shown on the front of the socket tester as being an Earth fault as well?

I'm not sure what's causing one of your generators' engine to speed up. Is this happening when you don't have a load connected to this generator, or when you're powering something with it? The fact the engine is speeding up shouldn't affect the voltage it's supplying though, as I think generators are usually fitted with voltage regulators to prevent damage caused by a power surge produced if there's ever a fault with the engine's automatic throttle.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: power problems
New postPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:01 am 

David.
Thank you for your reply and advice.
I have tried the tester plug on another genny and that was showing just no earth.
Then in my house and the tester is good.
I will earth the genny and see if that helps.
I cleaned the carb and ran it for some time with nothing pluged in but it still over reved. I took it to a mechanic and he just rang and told me the carb is blocked and when he clears that ( for £25) he can ckeck the electrics.
I know the carb was ok and not blocked and fuel was all clean.
I am trying to get hold of him to get it back before he takes it apart.
I will let you know what happens.
Thanks Steve.
David Aldridge wrote:
Try plugging your socket tester into a socket in your house and see what this shows. This will rule out your socket tester being faulty.

Also, don't forget that you're missing an Earth connection on your generators. You have to provide this yourself using a long Earth rod with a clamp on the top of it. You hammer the rod deep into the ground and then use the clamp to connect a length of green and yellow Earth wire to, that you then connect the other end of to the Earth connection on your generator's casing. This will either be a screw terminal post or just a bolt and washer. Either of these should be marked as the Earth connection with a symbol that's a triangle made up of 3 hoziontal lines with the longest of these being at the top and shortest at the bottom.

I think the fact that you don't have the Earth connection on your generator is probably the reason why you're seeing a fault being shown on your socket tester, as the Earth connection is used as well as the Live and Neutral connections for the correct operation of a socket tester. Perhaps the fault you're seeing of the Live and Neutral being reversed, is also shown on the front of the socket tester as being an Earth fault as well?

I'm not sure what's causing one of your generators' engine to speed up. Is this happening when you don't have a load connected to this generator, or when you're powering something with it? The fact the engine is speeding up shouldn't affect the voltage it's supplying though, as I think generators are usually fitted with voltage regulators to prevent damage caused by a power surge produced if there's ever a fault with the engine's automatic throttle.

Profile E-mail