50 Years

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: How big are these organs?
New postPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:44 am 
Hello all!

I'm looking to hire a fairground organ for a party in the south-east. The trouble is that, to get into the area the party will be held in, you have to go through an arch in a hedge. The shape of the gap is a rectangle with a semi-circle on top. I've just measured it up and the maximum dimensions are roughly: width- 145cm, height (before the semi-circle)- 164cm, height at max. point (from the ground to the apex of the semi-circle)- 204cm.

Now I know next to nothing about fairground organs except that they always inspire a great sense of childhood summer nostalgia! It'd be great to be able to hire one. I know the big ones you normally see at the fair would be way, way too big. At the same time, it'd be nice to have one that looked the part! Please could somebody give me the lowdown on the size of these organs? Thanks very much!

Charlie Khoo

Post subject: Re: How big are these organs?
New postPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Charlie.

Thanks for your enquiry.

The smallest are the "hand turned" organs, which are usually operated on a small trolley, so they would definately fit into your venue.

Then the size increases in stages all the way up to the very large Fairground Organs, so there should be something larger than a hand turned which would fit through your arch. The problem is that organs tend to be mounted in a trailer, so that is where the size is limited.

I converted your measurements into feet and inches for us old-fashioned folk! Height: 5' 4", Width: 4' 9".

I will have a look on the Organ Availability Register in the South East region for one that may fit: http://www.fops.org/oar/search.php?regi ... uth%20East

Where is your party to be held and what is the date?

Dave Stubbs

Profile E-mail  
New postPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:15 pm 
Hi Dave!

Thanks for such a rapid response! It's going to be held on the 19th June, in just under 2 months. I live near Windsor and Maidenhead. Thanks so much for helping me- I'd have been completely lost otherwise.

Charlie

New postPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:30 pm 

Dave.
Is there anyone in the Windsor area with a Pell 48 note like the one owned by Ned Kaye or a similar organ which would be ideal.

Regards.
George :grinder:

George

Profile E-mail  
New postPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:57 pm 
The British organ Grinders' Association has a register of hand-turned organs by region. If you email me directly on davec.wright@virgin.net I may be able to help.

Dave Wright

New postPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:21 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Charlie.

I received a message from Viv Benest in West Molesey:

Quote:
My 31 kl McCarthy organ will fit through the arch and I am less than 10 miles from Windsor.

He tried to post a reply in this thread, but for some reason it didn't appear, so I am posting his email to me here.

Charlie, could you provide me with your contact details.

The organ can be viewed at: http://www.fops.org/oar/search.php?regi ... %20Molesey

Dave Stubbs

Profile E-mail  
New postPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:20 pm 
Wow! Viv's organ looks perfect. Thanks so much for your help-my email is zchadp3@ucl.ac.uk. Thank you!

Charlie Khoo

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:20 pm.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]