50 Years

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: National trust Event Organiser looking for advice
New postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:59 am 

Hi everyone,

My name's Cat and I work at a National Trust property called Penrhyn Castle in North Wales. We are looking to organise a 'Steam fest' event for this summer, and I'm trying to find as many wierd and wonderful steam powered contaraptions as I can to really wow visitors to the event. With this in mind, I was wondering if there are still any working steam powered fair organs in the uk?

Any help would be much appreciated (I must confess I am new to all this!).

Regards,
Cat

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: National trust Event Organiser looking for advice
New postPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:50 pm 
Thirty Member

Hi Cat and welcome to the forum,
it's encouraging to hear that you are trying to start a new event as so many are disappearing across the country.
I would suggest you contact the National Traction Engine Trust www.ntet.co.uk as they help the organisers of a good many rallies and will offer you advise on the steam side of things.
Here and the MOOS http://mechanicalorganownerssociety.weebly.com are the places to contact organ owners.
The National Vintage Tractor and Engine Club http://www.nvtec.co.uk/ is a good place to start for stationary engines and tractors.

As to steam powered organs that's a a bit of a misconception, apart from the very rare Calliope, fairground organs are electrically powered, though the smaller ones can be hand cranked. Originally the electrical power came from the generator on a showman's traction engine or sometimes a dedicated steam engine in a separate trailer. This arrangement is recreated at many rallies when the owners of engines and organs get together, but the reality is that most organs spend most of their time powered by a diesel generator.

I wish you luck, but be prepared for a lot of hard work as organising an event in these health & safety and red tape obsessed times is not easy.
Regards
Greg

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:46 am 

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your help, some really useful information/links there. Everybody keeps mentionaing to me how much hard work this is going to be and I'm starting to wonder what I've let myself in for! Still thinking we could do a great event here though so keeping my enthusiasm up which has got to be the most important thing!

Thanks again,
Catrin

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:11 pm 
Thirty Member

How's it going Catrin?, I don't think anyone is trying to put you off, but forewarned is forearmed as they say.
Greg

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:24 pm 

Hi Greg,

Thanks for asking!

The NTET have been really helpful, and I am ploughing my way through their Code of Practice for Raleigh Organisers as we speak. Some really useful info in there in relation to H & S etc. You're right, there is a lot of red tape etc but the NTET have been a massive help in trying to understand it all!

Have found someone with an organ and a steam powered traction engine to attend so things looking hopeful there too. Always looking to have more things going on though so if you know someone who may be interested.........!

All the best,
Cat

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:26 pm 
Thirty Member

It's good to hear your making progress and getting help from the NTET.

It's sad that we live in a world with so much H&S nonsense and red tape, but that's what's been created in our name by successive governments 'for our protection', yeah right. We used to build floats for parades in this village and several others around here, everyone had a great, safe time for years. Then THEY decreed we had to fit seat belts for all passengers... on hay trailers I ask you!. We never actually found out who THEY were, but the police informed us that we "might" be arrested if we didn't, and the insurers suddenly declined to insure anyone without, so that was the end of the parades, and of a lot of village spirit that they helped to keep going.

I'm on the Yorkshire cost so it's a bit too far for me and probably others in this area, have you tried the Availability list at the top of this page?, not too many in Wales but plenty in neighbouring areas, I would try emailing a few.

Regards
Greg

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:17 pm 

Hi Cat,
Do you have any dates in mind? I would like to come over with maybe an organ & miniature steam traction engine if the dates suited. I can only work one at a time unfortunately.

Profile E-mail  

New postPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:51 am 

Hi organeer,

The event will be held on the 20/21st August. It would be fantastic if you could make it!

Cat

Profile E-mail